Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Let's Not Cry Over Spilt Milk

One Monday, about three weeks ago, we came into the office to find that the power had been off for a good part of the weekend. Unfortunately, that meant that the small refrigerator that we keep in the corner of the programming/testing area was warm and had been so for much longer than milk should be warm.

Apparently, the smell was horrid to everyone else. Most people couldn't come within 10 feet of the mini-fridge. I couldn't even smell it. Therefore, the job fell on me to take it to a nearby co-worker's house and clean it.

Before cleaning it out, I stuck my head inside, and found that I could still faintly smell the spoiled milk--just barely. So, add that one to the list.

Speaking of the list...

Things I can't smell (at least not very well) now but could before:
  • Chlorine
  • Spoiled milk
  • Motor oil
  • Turpentine
  • Gasoline (fading)
Things that I can still smell:
  • Burnt popcorn (my least favorite smell in the world)
  • Rotten eggs (sulfur)
  • Natural gas
  • Pretty much everything else
Isn't that wierd? Why have I lost those particular smells, and yet can smell others so well?

Crazy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'Day from down under! Rack off we're in the same bloody mess! Its London to a brick that I won't be able to smell ever again since my bingle last year in the bush bash. At first I thought I was gonna cark it but I made it through. I had bush oyster everywhere for weeks after and found myself using a bushman's hanky several times a day just to be able to breathe. Stands out like a shag on a rock that my sense of smell won't ever be the same again. Its nice to find another bloke that is going through the same stuff. Anyway, sorry to yabber on. Consider me a cobber. Do you plan to make a quid off your blog?

No worries Mate, she'll be right! Don't let any knocker get ya down!

Aimée said...

Hey Ben,

I am so glad that you have a blog of your own. I love the layout and especially your picture. I will definitely be an avid reader! Too bad about the gasoline, hehe. Its weird but I kinda like the smell of it :)

Ben said...

Hey Aimée!

Glad to see you! I hope you come back often.

Don't go smelling the gasoline too much--damaging fumes could cause you to loose your sense of smell.

Thanks for saying hello. :)

Ben said...

anonymous from Australia,

Welcome to my blog! I had to look up most of the colloquialisms that you used in your very vernacular post.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and come back again!